A great man is one who collects knowledge the way a bee collects honey and uses it to help people overcome the difficulties they endure - hunger, ignorance and disease!
- Nikola Tesla

Remember, remember always, that all of us, and you and I especially, are descended from immigrants and revolutionists.
- Franklin Roosevelt

While their territory has been devastated and their homes despoiled, the spirit of the Serbian people has not been broken.
- Woodrow Wilson

Bishop Georgije (Djokić)

(1984–2015)

Bishop Georgije, baptized Djordje Djokić, was born on May 6, 1949 in the village of Crnjelovo, Bjeljina, of parents Krsto and Krunija. After elementary school he resided in the monasteries Tavna, Ozren and Kosijerevo. He completed monastic school in the Monastery of Transfiguration 1963/1964. From Savina Monastery he went to the Studenica Monastery and remained until 1966 when he went to School at the Ostrog Monastery. After finishing Monastic School he was tonsured into monastic rank at the Monastery Ozren on February 11, 1971 and was given the monastic name Georgije. He was ordained hierodeacon on February 15, 1971. In June 1971, he was appointed spiritual father of Tavna Monastery by Bishop Longin. From there he graduated from the Seminary in Sremski Karlovci and the Faculty of Orthodox Theology in Belgrade. While in England, Fr. Georgije was appointed by Bishop Lavrentije to serve the parish of Sts. Peter and Paul in Derby, England. While there he was elected Bishop for the Canadian Diocese, on May 16, 1984. On June 8, 1984, he was consecrated a bishop by Patriarch German and installed in 1984 at the St. Nicholas Cathedral in Hamilton.

Bishop Georgije revived Church life in the Canadian Diocese, by organizing several new Church School Congregations, founding the Federation of Serbian Sisters, establishing the religious magazine Istočnik, pub-lished quarterly in both languages. He founded the Holy Transfiguration Monastery in Milton, near Toron-to, as the spiritual center of the Canadian Serbs. The Diocese purchased a home in one of the exclusive are-as of Toronto at 5A Stockbridge Avenue for the sum of $235,000. The Diocesan offices were located in the new residence. On the initiative of Bishop Georgije, the facilities in the lower level of the residence were adapted into a chapel. The frescos in the chapel are made by iconographer Hieromonk Pavle Kalanj, from Monastery Gradiste in Montenegro. The iconostasis and other items in the Chapel were done by Canadian Serb carpenters. The Chapel is dedicated to Three Holy Hierarchs and was consecrated on February 15, 1986.

Bishop Georgije filled vacancies in the parishes, organized new Church School Congregations and pro-vided spiritual care for every Serbian Community, large or small. He successfully motivated Church School Congregations to build new churches, church centers and parish residences, as well as to renovate and ex-panding existing ones.

During his thirty one years of archpastoral work the Diocese grew from eight parishes to thirty and the same number of the parish priests. As a crown of the accomplishments is the Transfiguration Monastery in Milton, Ontario. Bishop Georgije retired per the decision of the Holy Assembly of Bishops and currently resides in Milton, Canada.


SA

 

People Directory

Bishop Sava (Vuković)

(1967–1977)

Bishop Sava was born on April 13, 1930 in Senta. After graduating from secondary school he completed the St. Sava Seminary in Belgrade in 1950 and the Faculty of Orthodox Theology of the University of Belgrade in 1954. He did his postgraduate studies at the Old Catholic University in Bern, Switzerland. He obtained a Doctor of Divinity degree at the Faculty of Theology in Belgrade. His dissertation topic was “Typicon of the Archbishop Nikodim.”

He was professor at St. Sava Seminary in Belgrade prior to his election as a bishop. He received monastic vows at the Monastery “Vavedenje” (Entry of the Theotokos) in Belgrade on December 3, 1959. The monastic name he received was Sava. He was ordained hierodeacon on December 4, 1959. On June 3, 1961 he was ordained hieromonk. The Holy Bishops’ Assembly of the Serbian Orthodox Church elected him bishop on May 20, 1961 with title “vicar bishop of Moravica.” He was consecrated bishop on July 23, 1961 in the Patriarchal Cathedral in Belgrade by Patriarch German. Bishop Sava held the following positions: Professor of liturgies at the Theological College, member of the Orthodox Commission for Pan Orthodox Council, and representative of the Serbian Church for inter-confessional dialogues. The Bishops’ Assembly elected Bishop Dr. Sava on June 1, 1967 for a Bishop of the Eastern American and Canadian Diocese. He occupied this position until May 1977 when he was elected as Bishop of the diocese of Šumadija.

Read more ...

Publishing

God Views Us Through Love

by Ignatije (Midic), bishop of Branicevo-Pozarevac

The present volume collects essays and articles written by Bishop Ignatije on man within history and within the Church; on the roots of the Church according to Saint Maximus the Confessor; on how God views us through love; about a call to rediscover our true self in our neighbor; on reconciliation in society and policy; on iconising that which is to come seen in the Iconography of Stamatis Skliris.